Friday, April 22, 2011

Fond of La Fonda

So the boys and I ventured out today to La Fonda off Howell Mill Road in Atlanta.  La Fonda is a local chain and this appears to be their 5th location. The location we visited today sits in the former "Slice" location, across the street from that dreadful all you can eat, pick your own ingredients stir fry trough.

One of the good things you notice right away is PLENTY of parking in the back. No valet parking to deal with, unlike the place 100 yards down the road (6 feet under). So its generally easy in and out. A definite plus for a quick lunch.

The food is a combination of Cuban, Spanish and Mexican offerings. The menu is pretty inclusive. The Cuban offerings include traditional hot sandwiches as well grilled entrees. The Spanish influenced dishes include classics like Arroz Con Pollo and Paella. And of course, they have your traditional Mexican/American classics: Tacos, Burritos, Enchiladas, and Quesadillas.

And the atmosphere was excellent. Bright and open, the floor plan is inviting. But the concrete floors and high ceilings make for a very loud acoustic backdrop.  It has a very casual atmosphere with an attentive wait staff. The clientele appeared to be mostly professionals and maybe a few students from the nearby trade school.

Today, I had the paella. Not many places offer paella. And its one of my favorite Spanish dishes. I love to make it at home so I always like to get it out whenever I see it on the menu. Their paella had a good mix of seafood (shrimp and calamari rings), chorizo and chicken (a full chicken thigh) and had bits of carmelized onions and peppers throughout. And the flavor was outstanding. It comes served in its own small iron skillet. I finished mine and was completely stuffed.

We also had their fresh guacamole as well as a small order of their fried plantains. The guac was good. Not as flavorful as I've had elsewhere but still good nonetheless. And I typically don't care for fried plantains because they usually come out soggy and uninspiring. But La Fonda's had a crispy texture on the outside, yet remained soft and delicate on the inside. Paired with the spicy dipping sauce, these plantains were quite good.

I've never been to the other locations so I don't know how the Howell Mill branch fares vs. the other ones scattered around town. But I can say that I had a good first impression of La Fonda. Unlike Kip's ghetto girlfriend from Napoleon Dynamite, this La Fonda is easy to handle on the first visit.

La Fonda Latina on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment