Wednesday, March 16, 2011

6 Feet Under...Or 6 Feet Blunder??

6 Feet Under is a restaurant with a location just off Howell Mill Road on 11th Street in Atlanta.  Their original location is in Grant Park near the Oakland Cemetery.  After yesterday's experience at 6 Feet Under on 11th Street, I feel like its time to publish a new post. I am putting them on the banned list....at least temporarily.

As you might expect, we had fallen into a bit of a rut eating lunch at the same 4 establishments on a regular basis. So we decided to shake it up yesterday and visit 6 Feet Under in Atlanta on 11th Street. We had eaten lunch there previously and it was OK, not great but not bad. But there are a few things about this place that really get under my skin.

Valet parking. Really?? REALLY?? This is basically a glorified fish house with good beer on tap. So why the valet parking? Its not like the friggin' Ritz Carlton. Thankfully I did not drive so it was a minor annoyance. But it is an inherent flaw in this place. I think we can park our own cars.

The other problem with this place is the service. SLOW. VERY SLOW. Yesterday, David Gilmour from Pink Floyd was our server. He was even sporting a Dark Side of the Moon t-shirt. He seemed like a nice enough guy and was fairly attentive. But maybe it was the bong hits between trips to the table that slowed him down. When he finally brought our bill and we paid him, it took forever for him to return with change and receipts. I'm pretty sure I heard "Wish You Were Here" on their soundsystem while we were waiting. And to top it all off, he screwed up the bill and charged me for Carl's lunch and charged Carl for my lunch. Not that it is the end of the world. Carl and I worked it out. But still, dude needs to get it right the first time.

The food is the only thing preventing this place from taking a spot on the permanent banned list. My catfish tacos were good. John had a salad that looked fresh and inviting. And Carl's Shrimp PoBoy looked delicious. At least they have this going for them.

I guess the rest of the world must have plenty of time for lunch. This place is always busy, both at lunch and at dinner. But when you only have an hour to spare for lunch, there's just no way they can get it done that quickly. Maybe we caught them on a bad day but I don't think so. Our previous trip here was also slow. Perhaps its something in the name. Or maybe the ghost of Syd Barret haunts the place. I am not sure. But at least for now, 6 Feet Under on 11th Street is BANNED.

Six Feet Under - Westside on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment